Riverston is one of the peaks which rises over 1000 m above sea level in Knuckles Mountain range. This is a famous wind-gap in the country. When you reach the top you can view the majestic landscape of Knuckles range and the unique eco system called open grass land know as Pitawala Pathana which is located in the middle of the mountain range. Reaching the top is relatively easy on tar road surrounded by the montane forest.
Located approximately 30 km from the Matale town, when travelling on Matale – Laggala-Pallegama road, rather windy with quite a few hairpins turns but in good condition, offers great views all around with a mini worlds end, lot less travelled by main stream tourists. Climatic conditions here are very similar to Horton plains with the addition of having two great waterfalls “Sera Ella” and “Bambarakiri Ella”, both of which are a site for sore eyes, don’t forget to relax on the rock seats of “Sera Ella” relishing the cold misty spray of water on your face and Thelgamu Oya offers a great site for a dip in crystal clear but chilly water.
Travelling further upstream on this very scenic stream will no doubt will make you feel refreshed and rejuvenated. We recommend that you plan a trekking trip (02.5km) to the mist clad Riverston peak via Pitawala Pathana, as it offers some of the greatest views of the central hills across the mini worlds end which ends in a sheer drop of 300 meters offering a great vista especially of the “Knuckles range”, and the Thelgamu valley below with its terraced paddy field method unique to the central hills of Sri Lanka.
Available Nature trails
- Riverston Peak trail – 05 K.M trek both ways. This is one of the peaks in the Knuckles Mountain Range
- Pitawala pathana trail – 3 K.M trail which offers you breathtaking sight seen and mini worlds end.
- Sera Ella waterfall trail – 7 K.M trail through the jungle up to the waterfall
- Manigala Peak trail – 8 K.M trail. This also one of the peaks in the Knuckles Mountain Range which offers majestic sight seen of the range.
- December to April
- July and August also recommended